Graduation and Degree Requirements
Morehouse College offers an education that combines academic rigor with relevant, experiential learning experiences in a dynamic learning community that reflects the energy, spirit, and premise of our mission
Students are required to complete all requirements for graduation in order to earn the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree. These include all credit-bearing and non-credit bearing requirements, including, but not limited to Crown Forum, mandatory exit exams, seminars, and proficiency examinations or evaluations.
A student must satisfy the following requirements to earn a bachelor's degree from Morehouse:
- File a timely application for graduation (satisfying the dates specified by the registrar).
- Successfully complete a minimum of 120 semester hours of non-repeat courses (exclusive of courses numbered below 100).
- Complete the College’s core curriculum. The core curriculum consists of 53-59 semester hours of required coursework in the humanities, mathematics, natural sciences and social sciences
- Complete an approved major concentration sequence.
- Present a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher.
- Complete at least two years of coursework (a minimum of 60 semester hours) in residence at the College.
- Be in good standing at the College. The student cannot be on suspension or probation for any disciplinary or honor code violations to be considered.
- Fulfill all financial obligations to the College.
THE MOREHOUSE COLLEGE 2017 COMMENCEMENT PARTICIPATION POLICY
Students who have not fulfilled graduation requirements will be allowed to participate in commencement exercises only under the following circumstances:
- The student has four (4) or fewer credit hours outstanding;
- The student has only one of the following outstanding graduation requirements: one course; one lab; OR one course and one associated lab; and
- The student has submitted, and had accepted by the department chair of his major area of study, a plan for completing all degree requirements by the end of the spring semester of the following academic year.
Participation in Commencement exercises does not signify graduation from the College. Students must complete all degree requirements to graduate and receive the diploma.
ACADEMIC AND ADMINISTRATIVE CLEARANCE:
Earned at least 116 hours towards graduation (not counting hours earned for Math 090, Reading 098, and Reading 099).
At most, 1 credit bearing course and laboratory remaining to satisfy all degree requirements.
A cumulative GPA of at least 2.0
Completion of all credit bearing and non-credit bearing requirements, including Crown Forum, mandatory exit exams, seminar and proficiency examinations or evaluations.
Must be in good academic standing and must not be on suspension or probation for any disciplinary or honor code violations.
Applying for permission to participate in May 2017 Morehouse College Commencement Exercises requires the following steps:
Step 1: Beginning in mid-February 2017 students may download the Senior Degree Completion/Off-Campus Approval form from the Morehouse College Commencement website.
Step 2: Between 2/15 and 3/15/2017 the student and appropriate department chair/program director complete and provide signatures. This form:
- Verifies the exact courses/credit hours outstanding.
- Requires approval of the specific course and institution where the course may be taken.
- Should be retained by the student for his records.
Step 3: By 3/15/2017 the Senior Degree Completion/Off-Campus Approval form is submitted by the Department Chair to the Office of the Provost.
Step 4: By April 5, 2017 the Assistant Provost for Student Success will notify the student and department chair of the status of the request.
Students must meet all criteria in order to be approved for commencement participation.
Administrative Requirements and Clearance
Administrative Clearance (Deadline: Friday, April 28, 2017)
- Completed the online comprehensive Senior Exit Survey
- Completed a Financial Aid Exit Interview (dates and times listed below)
- Completed a Perkins Loan Exit Interview (if applicable)
- Return books and resources to the Woodruff Library and paid any outstanding library fees in full
- Paid, in full, any outstanding account balance including the assessed graduation fee
- Achieved clearance from the Office of Student Conduct (if applicable)
The Graduation Administrative Clearance form no longer exists as a mechanism for candidates to obtain administrative clearance at Morehouse College. Instead, students are required, between March 27th and April 28th, 2017 to complete all administrative clearance tasks listed above. Student’s who do not comply by the April 28, 2017 deadline will not be given additional time to do so and, as a result, will be removed from the commencement candidate list. Students should check their TigerNet account for holds in each of the areas above on or before March 27, 2017. Removal of the hold(s) will be granted once the required task has been completed. In order to achieve complete administrative clearance, no holds should remain on the student account after the April 28, 2017 deadline.
*All items checked out from the Woodruff Library must be returned by 5 p.m. on April 28, 2017. Any fines and fees owed for overdue and/or lost items must also be paid to the Library no later than 5 p.m. on April 28, 2017.
You will have earned your degree if and only if in addition to the above, you have:
- Successfully completed all of the general education and major degree requirements outlined in the course catalog for a total of 120 earned hours (excluding Math 090, REA 098 and/or REA 099). Sixty of the 120 hours must be completed at Morehouse College.
Please also note that, ordinarily, you may participate in only one Commencement exercise. If you participate this year, but do not satisfy all graduation requirements until a later time, you cannot participate in Commencement exercises at another time without approval of the Office of Academic Affairs.